Business Relocation or Expansion
If you are planning a business expansion and/or relocation options, this page is for you! Iowa is a Right-to-Work state, and the greater Warren County area is well-positioned as the southern gateway into the Greater Des Moines Metropolitan region. Warren County has a resourceful and connected team of economic development professionals with a business climate conducive to attracting new businesses, and a great quality of life for business executives and employees. View our economic indicators dashboard for useful data for business relocation and expansion projects.
- Population: 12th most populous Iowa county out of 99 with 46,732 residents (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2011 estimate).
- Growth Rate: 4th fastest growing county in Iowa for population (Source: U.S. Census, 2010).
- Laborforce: As a part of the Des Moines Metropolitan region, draw from a workforce base of over 290,000 people (Source: Iowa Workforce Development).
- Wages: 56th among Iowa’s 99 counties for average wage per job by place of work. Overall, Warren County ranks second among all Iowa counties for per capita median household income due to the significant out-commuter population.
- Fiscal Management: #1 populous Iowa county with no county government indebtedness (Source: Iowa Department of Management).
- Agri-Business (Agri-Tourism activity is projected to be a result of targeting this segment)
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Logistics and Distribution
- Customer Service and Technology Support Operations
- Interstate 35 (four-lane divided highway)
- Highway 5/65 Bypass (four-lane divided highway)
- Highway 65/69 (four-lane divided highway)
- Union Pacific Railroad
Additionally, Warren County is located two minutes south of the Des Moines International Airport. Two of Warren County’s largest communities, Norwalk and Carlisle, are located within 10 minutes of the Des Moines International Airport, the closest of all Des Moines Metro suburban communities.
- Capital City Fruit
- General Mills
- Cemen Tech
- Alamo Group
- La Quercia
- Harvest Innovations
Regarding education and available skilled workforce, Warren County’s county seat, Indianola, is home to Simpson College’s main campus. Simpson College is a four-year liberal arts institution with over 1500 students and also has an adult secondary education program. Des Moines Area Community College established a Warren County Career Academy and the newly renovated mall in south Des Moines, and over 243 students in Warren County signed up in the first year for programs such as welding, nursing, auto mechanic, and construction trades.
Additionally, Warren County K-12 education system is among the best in Iowa. Students test scores rank high relative to the rest of Iowa and U.S. and faculty/staff frequently receive honors for their work.
Warren County is home to the Des Moines Metro Opera and National (Hot Air) Balloon Classic, both nationally recognized events that are held each summer.