Parks, Lakes and Trails
State and County Parks
Annett Nature Center & Park, Indianola
Nature Center, pond, trails, prairie, fishing, butterfly garden
Bank Swallow Bend Wildlife Area, Ackworth
Hunting, bird watching, mowed trails
Picnicking, Biking, Boating, Fishing
Blue Flag Marsh, Norwalk
Wetland mitigation, hunting, wildlife observation
Grant Park, Swan
Picnic shelter, pond, wooded trails, campsites
Hickory Hills Park, New Virginia
Camping, fishing pond, hiking trail, homestead site, shelter
Hooper Area Pond, 6 miles SW of Indianola
Fishing, Boat Access
Lake Ahquabi State Park, Indianola
Shelters, Lodge, Camping, 6.5 miles of gravel trails, Swimming, Boating, Fishing
Lake Colchester, Norwalk
Lundy Acres, Indianola
Trail, Woods, Picnic Area
Otter Creek Park, Indianola
Picnic area, trails, campsites, prairie, pond
Woodland Mounds Preserve, Ackworth
Timber habitat, 3 mile loop trail, picnic area, hunting
Zo-El Annett Woods, Prole
Hiking trail, woodland
Norwalk - Norwalk's City Parks feature several notable attractions:
- NFL Play 60 Challenge Course (1 of 3 in the Midwest) in Warrior Park
- 12-hole disc golf course in Windflower Park
- Brownie Park Gardens and Magnolia Arboretum, the first Magnolia Arboretum in Iowa, registered with Magnolia Society International
Indianola - Indianola's 14 City Parks include:
- Buxton Park Arboretum, with a butterfly garden, ornamental fountain, wind sculptures, and gazebo
- Pickard Park, the city's largest park and home to hiking trails and native prairie
Carlisle - Carlisle's historic North Park features a log cabin and gardens, while South Park is home to the baseball complex.
Other - Other City Park offerings include Centennial Park and City Park in Milo, Gerry Allen Memorial Park and Lion's Park in New Virginia, City Park in Cumming, Lacona Park in Lacona, and Hartford's City Park.
Carlisle Nature Trail, Carlisle
3.3 miles. Connects to Summerset Trail.
Great Western Trail, Warren and Polk Counties
16.5 miles. Des Moines to Martensdale.
Jerry Kelley Trail, Indianola
1 mile. Memorial Park to Summerset Trail.
McVay Trail, Indianola
1.6 miles. Pickard Park to Summerset Trail.
11 miles. Carlisle to Indianola.
The following State and County parks have unpaved trails (refer to previous section, "parks & lakes," for more information):
- Annett Nature Center
- Bank Swallow Bend Wildlife Area (mowed trails)
- Grant Park
- Lake Ahquabi State Park (6.5 miles of trails)
- Lundy Acres
- Otter Creek Park
- Woodland Mounds (3-mile loop trail)
- Zo-El Annett Woods
Something missing? We do our best to maintain a complete and accurate list, but we welcome you to contact us with any suggested changes.
Header photo credit: Lake: Kvhuegel [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]